Monday, April 21, 2008

On the kitten patrol
Today was my first shift at the kitten nursery at the Peninsula Humane Society. So far only one litter, but oh my goodness are they cute! And tiny. The "big bruiser" tops out at a whopping 15.5 ounces. His two sisters are about 13.5 each. They're approximately 4 weeks old and have to be fed through a syringe. I can't believe how small and helpless they are.

I got to the shelter early and walked around looking at the available animals. If we weren't already owned by Cipher, the World's Most Amazing Cat, Screw You if You Disagree (tm), I would have brought home 2 or 3. There are so many of them who need loving homes. The three who stick in my mind are a tiny black thing with two white paws. A big, beautiful blond cat with the sweetest little meow. And a beautiful calico youngster who tried to eat the string on my sweatshirt hood. OK, there are about a dozen more I noticed.

Please, if you have any room in your heart and home for an animal I urge you to "adopt, not shop" for a pet. The PHS has dozens of adorable, sweet, deserving cats and dog (plus bunnies, guinea pigs, mices and more) that can totally change your life (for the better, of course.) Adding Cipher to our family really completed it. She's brought so much love, joy, and life into our home. If I could have more I would, but I don't think it would be fair to Cipher. But if you don't have a pet, please consider adopting a stray.

No comments: