Monday, August 25, 2008

We'll always have....oh pass a tissue
Oh, the perfection that is Casablanca. Is there a more perfect movie? Rick and Ilsa. The problems of two little people not amounting to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Victor leading the house band in a rousing version of the French national anthem. And all the wonderful, amazing, unforgettable characters...Karl and Sascha, the "what watch?" couple, the young Bulgarians trying to win at Roulette and, of course, loyal and lovely Sam.

It's on right now, just winding down. Ilsa and Victor are just getting on that airplane and, once again, I'm a sentimental fool. I must have seen Casablanca 50 times and I still love it. I love the end when Louis orders the rounding up of "the usual suspects." I love Rick, leaning in the doorway of a French train as he realizes Ilsa isn't joining him in his exile. I love Sam singing "Knock on Wood."

Yeah, it's corny and so famous that it's almost a cliche of itself. But for sheer wonderful moviemaking, can it be beat? If you haven't seen it in ages, I urge you to do so again. It just might be the start of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: