Monday, June 01, 2009

The year so far in photo review

One of my goals for this year was to post a photograph a day on this blog. I am happy to say that I have been able to do this. I am unhappy with the quality of many of them. I have a lovely camera, which I have no idea how to use properly because I don' know where the manual is. I've tried the old-fashioned method of "fiddling" with things, but that hasn't seem to helped. I know that I can take a good photograph and I know I have a good eye. It's only the execution that I can't figure out. Lighting, exposure, and the "what does this button do" stuff that are so crucial to actually being successful.

I love photography. One of my childhood dreams was to be a photographer for National Geographic. I've always wanted to be better, and took a few classes in the course of my checkered college career, but it's always boiled down to not ever knowing how to get the most out of my cameras. I suppose I'll have to roll up my sleeves and just try everything and take notes, but it's frustrating. Even more frustrating, though, is posting photos that I'm not particularly proud of just because I need one for today.

Oh sure, over the past 6 months I've posted a few good ones. But most are deservedly forgotten. So now that we stumble into part 2 of 2009 I guess my new goal is to take better photographs. Bear with me while I try to get better.

No comments: