Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cool vs. Crotch
Here's today's random rant...

Husband and I tried to watch the Tony Awards tonight. We gave up. Well, I did, anyway, when Catherine Zeta-Jones channelled Nora Desmond while singing "Send in the Clowns." I hate that song, even when it's sung well. When it's sung badly, it defies the Geneva Convention.

Anyway, for reasons I cannot fathom...the band Green Day was part of the opening number. And it made me wonder out loud something that has puzzled me for years.

Why is it jazz bass players look perfectly hip playing their bass while holding it in a normal position while rock musicians think they have to sling it down over their crotch in order to be cool? In reality, they look ridiculous. This Green Day guy....his bass was so low it was actually hitting his knee. It was slung at the absolute limit of his reach and it was so silly looking that I just started laughing. I mean nothing against masturbation, but if that's what you want to be doing -- please don't sling an instrument over your penis and pretend to be playing music, OK?

1 comment:

Duke said...

Maybe the greatest guitar player of all time, Chet Atkins, made fun of the morons who hung instruments to their knees. In my experience they are mostly no-talent posers. If you watch the greats like Chet, Les Paul, or Santana you see them playing correctly.

I think it's all just trying to be cool. The same mentality kids have wearing pants hanging to the floor. Stupidity mostly.