Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Comfort Foods
Much has been written about the healing power of comfort foods. And deservedly so. For in times of stress, there's much to be said for the healing power of grilled cheese sammiches, mom's famous homemade soup, or the simple comfort of hot biscuits. Whatever your own personal comfort food is (and one's comfort food is a personal and very individual choice), I'm sure it has gotten you through many a rough patch. I know that since the war began, I have started eating a lot more toast. (Which is, in my opinion, one of the best inventions ever.) (Toast, I mean, not war.) However, after an hour of CNN, I find that I derive much needed peace from two pieces of golden brown toast. (Yum.) And at the end of a long week (diet be damned) I crave the simple perfection of bread and cheese.

Of course chocolate is in a class by itself. And yet strangely enough (considering that I keep a full candy jar in my cubicle at work to help others less fortunate than I), chocolate is not my comfort food. I like warm things. I want yellow cake fresh from the oven, chicken soup, pot roast, and tea. Perhaps I manifest stress in a loss of heat (which would explain why I'm cold all the time). Anyway, whatever your comfort food of choice is, I say go for it. We all deserve some toast right about now.

No comments: