Thursday, February 03, 2005

Horray for the brain
Have you seen Rough Science? If not, you should. I am by no means a scientific type person, but I love this show. A group of scientists (all of whom I'd love to have over for dinner) are "stranded" someplace and given assignments like "make a clock," "make a radio," or "figure out how much this glacier moves in 24-hours." Using only what they find around them, plus an assortment of odd tools, they make things happen.

This is the kind of reality television I like. Watching people use their brains in an ingeneous way, seeing how cooperation makes things possible, this is good stuff. I've been amazed watching them make sunscreen from native plants, building weather stations using spare wood and parts of an old radio, and various other wonders. Check it out.

No comments: