Monday, May 18, 2009

Kittens
The kitten nursery opened today. I had forgotten how tiny they are. The average weight is about 10 ounces. Only two litters at the moment, 5 kittens and 3 kittens. It was great to be back in there, sticking syringes of stinky food into the tiny mouths of reluctant, squirming little critters. Ah yes, the scent of kitten food. It had escaped my mind until that first whiff and then the sense memory came back. Of course the fact that it got onto my shirt and into my hair helped cement the "oh yes, I remember this smell" recollection.

I know these guys aren't going to be around long. As soon as they're old enough to be adopted, they're going to be snapped up. I'm thrilled. And, of course, a bit sad that all the amazing adult cats in need of a home may be overshadowed by the overwhelming cuteness of the kittens.

I just wish I could give them all homes. The cats, not the kittens.

No comments: