Sunday, June 21, 2009

Our Backyard Buffet
The kibble we feed Cipher (The World's Most Amazing Cat, Screw You if You Don't Agree tm) was recalled due to a manufacturer error that put in the wrong balance of nutrients. Until they start selling it again, we've tried to feed her something else. One brand she wouldn't go near. Rather than toss out a back of perfectly good cat food, I decided to put out a few piles for the feral cats that frequent our backyard. It was a huge hit.

This is Orange Cat 1 nibbling away while, in the background, Plaid Cat waits her turn.

Orange Cat 2 (note the difference in tails between the two orange cats, one long hair one short, that's how we finally figured out there were two) chowing down in the side yard. I later saw him at the pile in the front yard, along with a Siamese-colored cat who ran away when she saw me watching from the front window.

Plaid Cat at a table for one. Soon after she left, Mama Cat came buy for the no-plate special.

In all I counted six different cats enjoying our hospitality. I don't want them to come to rely on food here, although I'm not sure why...they're already here all day anyway. And I'm wondering if it might help us trap them and get them spayed or neutered (I'm still trying to figure out how to fit a cat trap into the back of a Honda Civic.) But it's a good way to get rid of the food that is, apparently, not good enough for Queen Cipher. They seemed to love it. And, I have to confess, I feel less concerned about them knowing they all had a good meal today.

No comments: