Friday, June 12, 2009

Vanity Fair

For some reason I have a subscription to Vanity Fair. I'm not sure why. It's not really not my kind of magazine. And I swear I didn't renew but I keep getting it. I don't really care to read about rich New Yorkers I've never heard of. But there's been a series of article over the past few issues about the saga of Bernie Madoff, the investment guy accused of bilking people out of 80 gazallion dollars.

I don't get the ins and outs of it all and I haven't followed this store except for the VP profiles. But based on the stories, this guy is impressively evil. Like Bond villain evil. Yeah it all comes down to greed but when you think about the magnitude of what he's done you almost have to step back and say "wow." I mean if you're going to steal, and it looks like this guy did, why steal small? He's like the Nobel Prize winner of dishonest. If it's all true, he took so much money from so many people with so little regard for trifling things like ethics that it's almost inspiring in a way. I mean I don't even take pennies from the "need a penny?" tray when I actually need a penny, so having the balls to pocket that much money is part of some world I can't fathom.

No, no moral to this. Just kind of shaking my head at it all.

1 comment:

FinnyKnits said...

Seriously. Like they couldn't create a super villan so evil kind of evil.

It makes my mind boggle.

I feel too guilty when the cashier makes a mistake not to tell her, "Hey, Brenda, you gave me change for a $20 and I gave you a $10." and here's this guy off bilking entire state's worth of people out of every dime he can get his hands on and then hiding it with whomever has a clear name and won't implicate him.

Oh, just burn. BURN.