Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Quarantine
The nursery is coming into its last month and, sadly, it's ending on a quarantine. Ringworm. We've already lost some kittens but I think the ones left will be fine -- aside from getting too big for their kennels and in desperate need to get out.

Quarantine presents many extra precautions and, as a consequence, a bit more work. We wear plastic gowns (lovely in the heat) and gloves. Everything has to be extra bleached after each litter (the scale, the tables, the food bowls, etc.) Plus lots of floor mopping, extra hand washing, and general cleanliness. We even have to step in bleach whenever we leave the nursery to we don't track ringworm to the rest of the shelter.

But with the nursery closing I'll have more time on my hands. I'm at the shelter every weekday now: three days at the nursery, three days with the cats. Once the nursery shuts down I'll be doing three days of cats. So that leaves me with two free weekdays to get involved in something else.

I'm trying to figure out where I'd like to volunteer next. I'm considering a local food bank, a homeless shelter network, or something with a local environmental group (Save the Bay, Peninsula Open Space Trust, that kind of thing). But if any of you know of a worthy organization, preferably in San Mateo County, that needs a day or two a week of volunteering, please let me know,

1 comment:

FinnyKnits said...

Have you looked on HandsonBayArea.org? They're a good org that aggregates volunteer opportunities for the bay area. You can search by area (San Mateo County), interests, skills, etc. I'm sure there's someone out there that could use your generous help :)