Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Blues, blues, blues
The annual KZSU Blues Marathon is on the calendar. 30 hours, starting at midnight the night of Christmas and running all day the 26th and into the 17th. As usual, I'll be on the air.

But it looks like I'm on the air for a 12-hour slot, from noon to midnight on the 26th. Our blues director wants me to do a world blues show, a "he said, she said" tag-team show with Husband where he plays all those "she's a cold hearted bitch" songs and I reply with "he's a no good mean mistreater." Then I'll be doing a solo show of what I like to call "bathosphere blues" the blues that are deep down, low down, down and dirty. Then Husband will do a jump blues show. After which, we will both be exhausted.

I always look forward to the Blues Marathon. I really love playing the blues, especially the classic artists: Howlin' Wolf, R.L. Burnside, B.B. King, Lightnin' Hopkins, give me a guitar and a sad story and I'm set. And what better day to play the blues than the day after Christmas, when you have to go on with life knowing you didn't get a pony from Santa.

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Love the selections...my husband, a marathoner, has always thought the Blues Marathon would be a fun run...hope you have fun with your musical run! And, Merry Christmas!

Decca said...

I'm already plowing trough my library separating the down & dirty from the maybe pile. The world music set is going to be hard because I just don't want to focus on Malian blues so it'll tale some work to put together great set. but I'm loving the challenge. I hope you can turn itn.

FinnyKnits said...

Sounds like the perfect thing to tune in to while we're feeling sore and sad from a day of Heathen Skiing on Christmas Day.

:)