Thursday, March 25, 2010

Photo of the day: Ten Pennies. Ten Years

Ten years ago today Husband and I had our first date. We celebrate this anniversary rather than the date on which we married (in 2003) because March 25, 2000 was the day we fell in love with each other. Yeah, it happened that quickly.

The story is we had our first date two weeks before our first date. After a couple of conflicting schedules, we'd finally arranged our first official date: to go see Femi Kuti in San Francisco with some friends. But Husband decided (bless him) that he didn't want to wait two weeks to see me, so he came down to the radio station.

I was doing an early Saturday morning show and rarely had visitors. And then in walks Husband. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked. He mentioned something about music work. We chatted. My show finished. He asked me if I wanted to go get some coffee. That was at about 9 am. And at about 2 am we said goodnight after some serious necking in my car.

That morning I woke up alone and not really looking and that night I went to sleep in love with this amazing man who was funny and smart, creative and interesting, caring, compassionate, generous and, icing on the cake, a great kisser. And to this day I still get butterflies in my stomach when he kisses me.

So each of these pennies represents a year together. Bright, lucky, simple little objects -- like my life with my beloved Husband.

2 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Squeeeeeeee! That is so very sweet and lovely. Perhaps you'll celebrate by making out in the car again. I mean, I think you're even driving the same car now, so it'd be a true celebration.

Congrats!

Kittie Howard said...

I meant to comment the other day but phone rang or some such. I totally melted when I read this post. Ohhhhhhhhh, perfect. I hope your butterflies fly forever (mine still do). Ain't love grand!