Sunday, November 30, 2008


World AIDS Day
December 1st is World AIDS Day. There will be events and ceremonies around the world. Close to home there is always something going on at the National AIDS Memorial Grove in Golden Gate Park. It's a place that's special to me and my friends. The names of "the Steves" are part of the Circle of Friends, each has a tree planted in his honor, and it's where we gathered to commemorate 10 years since we lost Steve.

It's one of those days on which I cannot help but reflect. I miss them all the time, but every year on AIDS Day I think of them with love and sadness. And it inspires me to appreciate how lucky I was to have had them in my life. Steve, especially, was a huge part of who I am. I still cannot believe he's been gone so long, or that I shall grow old without him to lean on.

In honor of the day I urge you to do something sloppy, like tell the people in your life that you love them. It helps me to miss them less if I let their loss inspire something good.

No comments: