Thursday, February 05, 2009

Phases of the Mood
Do you go through phases or is it just me?

Sometimes I think my entire life has been a series of phases. Odd phases. Like for weeks on end I'll want nothing but English muffins for breakfast. Then, suddenly, I decide cereal is what I want and I'll ignore English muffins for a few months. Or I'll be in the mood for reading classic British mysteries. Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham. One after the other. And then, poof, I'm onto biographies.

What causes that, do you think? Why does something that sounds so appealing one day turn completely uninteresting the next? What happened between yesterday and today, for example, that made me decide that I really don't want yogurt? I'm still the same person. The yogurt is still my favorite flavor (non-fat vanilla). I still need to have lunch. But I just can't bring myself to grab a spoon.

For some reason I'm in a "I don't want to review music" phase. Part of my responsibilities as a music genre director and a DJ is that I have to listen to and write reviews of the new CDs into the station. I have a stack here at hand. Both world music for my stash and a few jazz CDs for Husband's. And yet I cannot bring myself to pop one in. I know it has to be done. I know I have a deadline coming up, that I will have to have at least three CDs reviewed by Sunday in order to have an add for the next week. But I just have no desire to do it. I'm fast running out of time. Tomorrow it cat duty (yay!) so I have today and Saturday. And yet I still procrastinate.

The mind is a funny thing. I'm sure a psychologist or psychoanalyst would be able to explain why humans are creatures of caprice. Why, all of a sudden, I have an urge to bake cookies or a desire to never drink lemon tea ever again. But, at the moment, I wish I could get into a "get off your ass and review some music" phase.

No comments: