Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easier than Hard
Occasionally while on cat duty someone will stop to chat and will ask about volunteering. I am often asked if it's hard to do. They'll say something like "I'm an animal lover and couldn't be around all these cats in cages."

Which sometimes makes sense, but mostly doesn't.

Yes, on the one hand being an animal lover it's hard to be around the kitties and know that they don't yet have forever homes. It can be difficult to see those sweet faces, peering out hopefully, desperate for a little attention.

But on the other hand, if I don't do it, who will? I don't mean that in a "it's up to me" kind of way but you know what I mean.

These animals need the love and attention. And if everyone said "it's too hard" then they'd never get what they need. I feel like you can't let the occasionally difficulty of wanting to give them all homes get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

I do get attached and have favorites. And I fall in love every day. I still think of some of my special cats who have found homes and that'll I'll never see again. And when I'm there, looking at all those sweet, hopeful faces, it can sometimes make me sad. It's hard to leave at the end of the day because there's always one more cat who needs a tummy rub, a catnip toy, some quiet talk. But the positive so outweighs the negative that every sad tug at the heart is worth it.

If you are at all considering volunteering but are afraid it would be too hard, I urge you to put the animals first. It can be hard. But if you don't do it, who will?

No comments: